Friday, August 28

Life and Books and Recomendations Welcome

I was thinking about doing a "What's New" post but honestly not that much is new--LOL.  Life is hectic.  What's making it hectic hasn't changed.  I need more organization in my life.  I'm sure my husband, when he reads this, would completely agree :)

Reading has been fun.  Somehow in the last 8 months I've learned not to obsess about what I read.  I may not love everything I'm reading, but I'm not picking everything to pieces or throwing books against the wall.  Of course, I'm rather picky about what I'm reading, with a tendency to stick with authors I know and am doing a ton of rereading.

So, what have I been reading?  New authors first, I've probably read more than these, but these are the ones that kind of stood out good or otherwise:
  • Sherry Thomas--liked Not Quite a Husband, and have her other two books on my TBR pile.
  • Michelle Marcos--not a huge fan.  Finished Wickedly Ever After, and found the heroine to be a bit TSTL but not enough not to finish the book.  Didn't realize it was the 3rd in a series until after I bought it.  Picked up the first 2 at the UBS before I finished it.  I've started the other two, but you have to be in the right frame of mind to read stupid heroine stories.  I've been reading romance for close to 30 years, so I've read my share of TSTL heroine books and there are worse flaws for a book.
  • Karin Tabke--completely enjoyed Master of Craving, once agian reading the 3rd book in a series first, found the 1st book in the series at the UBS, but am haven't found the 2nd book yet.  I'll probably have to break down and order it from Amazon.
  • Claudia Dain--The Courtesan's Daughter was an interesting book.  Loved the mother but the daughter really wasn't all that bright, I still enjoyed the book.
I've read a whole host of new books by old favorites...  Linda Howard, Nora Roberts, Mary Balogh, Julia Quinn, Loretta Chase, Elizabeth Hoyt, Lisa Kleypas the list goes on.

Rereading has probably been the bulk of my reading over the last several months.  Lisa Kleypas, Linda Howard, Jane Feather, Susan Elizabeth Philips are my latest reread glom.

Right now I'm reading Meljean's Demon Bound, which I am completely enjoying :)

So, what have I missed over the last few months?   Recommendations are highly welcome.

Have a great day and happy reading.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

Out of the books you've mentioned I've only got the Sherry Thomas in the TBR.

I've mostly been reading Harlequins this year - and have read some really good ones. Off the top of my head: A Holiday Romance by Carrie Alexander, Man Most Likely by Cindi Myers, Let It Ride by Jillian Burns and Not So Perfect Past by Beth Andrews.

Tara Marie said...

Wendy--I haven't read series romance on a regular basis in years. I'll have to take a look at these :)

I discovered the Thomas book through a blog sometime over the last couple of months.

The Marcos books had great cover quotes from Lisa Kleypas--I should have known better than to trust a over quote.

Wendy said...

Yeah, I couldn't remember if you were a semi-regular series reader or not. Of the ones I listed, I say definitely A Holiday Romance. Sweet romance, no kids, no secret babies, no tycoons or billionaires :)

Heee, my theory is that cover quotes DO work on the casual browser. Of which, it sounds like you were in this instance.

Bob & Muffintop said...

Not reading romance this summer due to romance burnout.:( Although I've bought A Duke of Her Own by Eloisa James, The Iron Hunt by Marjorie M. Liu, At the King's Command (update of Circle in the Water '94-1st of a trilogy) by Susan Wiggs and Don't Tempt Me by Loretta Chase. Lots of buzz for The Madness of Sir Ian MacKenzie. Bought that one too, but it's still unread. :(

~Amanda

Tara Marie said...

Amanda, I've seen the Wiggs books but didn't realize they'd been updated. I'll have to check them out. I've read the James and Chase books, and enjoyed the James more, but the Chase was good.

Bob & Muffintop said...

The info about Wiggs' book being a reworked reissue was on the back of the title page, not anywhere prominent on the book itself. I wondered if readers would care about that if they found out after the fact. Doesn't matter to me 'cuz i didn't read the old versions. *shrug*

~Have a great weekend! Amanda