Tuesday, March 22

No--All Contemporaries Don't Stink

So, after all my bellyaching yesterday, I pick up another contemporary romance(the last in my TBR pile). And guess what? It was a good one, not a keeper, but a really good read.

Wanting What You Get by Kathy Love

This was not what I was expecting. Between the cover art and the blurb on the back I was expecting another "lite, fluff piece". Anything but. When I look at the elements of the story individually, I shouldn't have enjoyed it, but somehow it worked beautifully. The heroine is a small town librarian (shy and a little rotund), the hero is the town's "goldenboy" Mayor. It turns out Mr. Mayor has a drinking problem. Ms. Love pulls the entire story together and give's the little librarian a really strong backbone. It was a serious little book, dealing with a real life problem--very good.

Of course, it's the 2nd in a series and now I have to search out the first one, the third is due out next month.

3 comments:

Bob & Muffintop said...

Hi Tara.

I remember seeing that one (or maybe a review for it) & thinking it sounded good. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Tara Marie said...

Mary Stella,

The first book in the series did feature a "Stepp" sister. I'm trying to find a copy...I'm probably going to end up at half.com because the UBS doesn't have it.

Tara Marie said...

Judye,

I don't mind fluff as long as it's done well and I don't have to stretch my imagination to get the story to work. And, I think that was my problem. I have a tendency to nit pick at a book if I see too many flaws and once I start that the book is ruined for me.

I'm glad you like my blog--I'm new to it, but am having a lot of fun.