Saturday, October 29

Susan Squires Rocks

Well, it seems I may be back on the reading track.

I finished Susan Squires' The Hunger last night.



This book is great, a prequel to The Companion, and stars Beatrix Lisse, a 700+ year old vampire, whose vampire territory is Regency London, and John Staunton, the Earl of Langley, British spy. The evil Asharti once again must be stopped. It's a page turner, it's dark, it's erotic, it's compelling and at times even gory. Exactly what I want in a vampire story.

I am amazed at how Ms. Squires pushes romance writing envelopes and doesn't seem to follow any of the "unwritten" rules.

After visiting her website I realized Sacrament falls within this series time line and includes characters from this book. It's next on my TBR pile and I plan on rereading The Companion too.

Have a spooky weekend, and scary reading.

9 comments:

Emma Gads said...

The Hunger was a prequel? Are you sure? I thought it was a sequel since Beatrix was in The Companion with no mention of Langley (yes? did I miss something?).

Anyway, I did enjoy the book, though less than Companion. I'm getting a bit fed up with Asharti as a villain. If she shows up in the next book as well, I'll be seriously annoyed.

And do read Sacrament ASAP! That one is my all time favorite Squires (and I've liked all of her books).

Anne E. said...

Tara, I posted a review of A Breath of Snow and Ashes on my blog. A warnng: it includes a spoiler. The review is mixed.

Tara Marie said...

Hi Emma, this one takes place in 1811 and I think The Companion takes place in 1815, at the end of this one Asharti is exiled to North Africa and that's where The Companion starts. And, no, I don't remember Langley in that one, that was one of the reasons I wanted to go back and do a reread.

Anne, I'll head over and read your review.

CindyS said...

Funny! I ordered The Hunger and The Companion last night online. After my whole *don't want to get sucked into series* blog you would think I would know better.

Ah well, I seem to be in the mood for vamps and things that go bump in the night ;)

CindyS

Emma Gads said...

No wonder I was confused! How weird that she would write them in that order. Seems to me The Hunger should have been pubbed before The Companion, then...

Bookwormom said...

YEAA!!! I think I'll have to read this one tomorrow in honor of Halloween. I loved Sacrament & The Companion.

Happy Halloween Tara! Post pics of your little one- he's a doll baby!

Tara Marie said...

Amanda, let me know what you think. I picked up Sacrament on your recommendation.

Hopefully I'll find some time tomorrow night to post picters. He is a cutie, not that I'm prejudice or anything--LOL.

Bookwormom said...

No pressure or anything re: if you like Sacrament! LOL Let me know.

La Karibane said...

I think there's also a novella somewhere that completes the Vampire series, no?

I adored The Companion so Sacrament, the novella/anthology and The Hunger are on my To Buy list.

Addiction, it's an endless cycle...