Wednesday, November 22

Angels Fall

I finished Nora Roberts' Angels Fall yesterday afternoon. Once again an enjoyable book from NR.

From the publisher, lifted from B&N:
Reece Gilmore has come a long way to see the stunning view below her. As the sole survivor of a brutal crime back East, she has been on the run, desperately fighting the nightmares and panic attacks that haunt her. Reece settles in Angel's Fist, Wyoming-temporarily, at least-and takes a job at a local diner. And now she's hiked this mountain all by herself. It was glorious, she thought, as she peered through her binoculars at the Snake River churning below.

Then Reece saw the man and woman on the opposite bank. Arguing. Fighting. And suddenly, the man was on top of the woman, his hands around her throat . . .

Enjoying a moment of solitude a bit farther down the trail is a gruff loner named Brody. But by the time Reece reaches him and brings him to the scene, the pair has vanished. When authorities comb the area where she saw the attack, they find nothing. No signs of struggle. No freshly turned earth. Not even a tire track.
Reece is a contradiction, she's had a severe trauma in her life that left neurotic and obsessive, probably justified, and yet she is also strong or at least getting stronger and at times more confident as the book goes on. Brody becomes her rock, believes in her when many others around them think she's simply that poor crazy woman from back east.

Have you ever reached the point in a suspense when you realize who the villain is and you say "NO!!"? I was about 2/3 through the book when the villain's identity started to dawn on me, and my brain started whispering "no, no, no, the villain can't be..." but of course it was. I still enjoyed the book and I have no ideas which secondary character would have made a better bad guy--LOL.

PS--Ames was nice enough to send me the code for boxing in blockquotes, but I'm still too HTML challenged to make them work--oh well, I'll keep at it.

1 comment:

Dev said...

I want to read this so badly. I'm still number 5 in the queue at the library ~ hopefully soon!