Wednesday, November 29

Tempting The Devil by Patricia Potter

Tempting The Devil was the first Patricia Potter romantic suspense I've read, she's been writing them for a while now and for some reason I didn't follow her from historicals to RS. I think she switched when I was in my 2 year reading slump a few years ago. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I didn't expect to be disappointed with a major premise of the story.

Three police officers are killed execution style while on patrol in rural Georgia, Robin Stuart is a reporter covering the story. She has a source in the Sheriff's Office who insists on anonymity tell her he thinks a Mob organization called HYDRA is involved and that someone in the Sheriff's Department is in on it. She writes her story and enter Ben Taylor, FBI agent, he wants her source. She and her paper are prepared for this, talk about this, plan for this.

The major flaw in the story--no one involved in the article outing HYDRA and the Sheriffs office expect the "Mob" to go after the reporter for the source. Well, gee whiz, they've killed 3 cops do you think they'll hesitate to kill a reporter or her family??

Conversation between the reporter and her editor:
"Now the bad guys have threatened my sisters if I give it to anyone but them. They want the name. I don't think they'll stop at anything to get it."

"I'm sorry, Robin. I didn't see this coming."

"Neither did I."
Conversations between Robin and her source:
"...You started this by giving me information you knew--a lot better than I--was very dangerous."

"I never thought they'd come after you."
You know what? I may not be a brain surgeon, just a lowly reader, but I saw this coming. How could the reporter, source and editor not make this connection? I didn't think the reporter shouldn't write the article, just be prepared for all the consequences, not just a pissed off FBI. The source was insistant that his family would be a target, why wouldn't the reporters family be a target too? This really bugged me, maybe I'm nit picking.

I think I'll reread her old westerns and avoid her romantic suspense. Oh well, live and learn.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i dont think romance suspense together dont work very often. when i want suspense i get scifi or fantasy or suspense like kay hooper or harlen coben and of course movies. romance suspense doesnt even sound right to me. who write good ones? your posting got me piqued since im into reading suspense just more recently .mamx from canada .

Colleen Gleason said...

I hate it when there's a plot hole large enough to drive a truck through. Ugh.

I read a book last year by an up and coming romantic suspense author and felt the same kind of thing had happened. There was a decision made by a character, too, that was completely unjustifiable, and thus put the heroine--and others--into jeopardy. I couldn't forgive the author doing that.

Anyway, nice blog. I like the way you have the book covers lined up on the side with your grade beneath them!

Tara Marie said...

mamx, romantic suspense sometimes is a hard fit, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't

Colleen, thanks for coming by, I've your book on order.

...plot hole large enough to drive a truck through. Good description, the more I thought about it the more it annoyed me.

The books on the sidebar came about because I'm too lazy to review everything I read, but of course have an opinion on everything--LOL. (the grade is actually above the books)

Kristie (J) said...

Ah nuts! Since I have this one, I was hoping for better. And yes *sigh* her Westerns are very very good. Maybe when they make a comeback (and I know they will - someday) she will return to the old west.

Tara Marie said...

Kristie, maybe you'll like it or be able to overlook the "plot hole", doesn't that make you think "pot hole"?

I'm real picky about romantic suspense, I probably should read some reviews before buying these books.

Westerns will be back soon, there seems to be more and more each month.