Sunday, April 24

Today's thoughts--a mish, mash mess...

THE MOTHER'S CURSE:
I don't deserve it, the mother's curse. My mother didn't curse me, my MIL cursed my husband, "I hope you get one just like you..." It's not fair I wasn't expecting this--LOL. It's really not that bad, our 3 year old has his fathers temperament and my sarcasm, at times it's a deadly combination.

HE ATE LIKE A HORSE:
My little guy had an upset stomach Friday night, went to bed very late and yesterday he was still a little off, not real hungry. Well, today he woke with a huge appetite. Before we went to church he had an apple. After Mass he had the whites of a fried egg, 3 slices of bacon, 2 turkey breakfast sausages and a waffle. I swear his right leg must be hollow, where the heck did he put it. It's 9:40 in the morning and now he's asking for Goldfish.

CHECK OUT THIS BLOG:
Squawk Radio, it's a riot. Several authors (I read all of them, which is great) including, Connie Brockway, Christina Dodd and Eloisa James. These ladies are a riot. They're still getting things situated, but it's worth a read.

CLOSE TO YOU:
I'm reading Christina Dodd's Close to You. I'm enjoying it much more than the last one in the series, I'm about half way through it and it's great.

BOOK HOPPING:
I discovered a couple of other bloggers did the book hopping thing. Check out Blog Happy and Romance Novel Central.

VIRGIN vs EXPERIENCED HEROINES:
If you're at all familiar with the romance reading blogging world, there are huge "discussions" going on regarding the sexual experience of heroines. I'm not grasping this--shouldn't the heroines experience fit the story line, and not some "romance writing rule"? Let the authors write what they want.

Have a great day, happy reading.

3 comments:

Anne E. said...

Tara, I agree with your comment about experienced vs. virginal heroines: let the authors write what they want.

As you could probably tell from the post on my blog, I don't understand the uproar about more experienced heroines. I do know that an experienced heroine is more problematical in most historical novels than in contemporaries, since in the past it was more or less accepted by most that a bride should be a virgin (although some couples did "take liberties" upon becoming engaged). And I also know that some readers really become upset at novels where either the hero or heroine has multiple partners (not talking about threesomes here, just more than one lover or spouse per person, per book!).

As a woman of a certain age, as they say, I find it very difficult to relate to virginal heroines. I really enjoy books where the heroine is slightly older, a widow or divorcee, or perhaps even a mistress -- although the plots that really get me are the ones where you only think the heroine is experienced (madame of a bordello, for example) but in truth she has never had a sexual experience, or she was forced to have sex. I noticed in the contemporaries of Linda Howard most of the heroines are older virgins or haven't had sex for years. I haven't read her recent books so I don't know if that has changed.

Maybe that is why I love the "Outlander" series so much, and think that Claire Randall is a wonderful heroine -- even though Jamie is the love of her life (maybe lives?) she did also love Frank and they did have sex! And Elizabeth Middleton in "Into the Wilderness" was a 29 year old virgin, but she was ready for her first sexual experience, and wasn't one bit coy or "cute."

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Squawk Radio link, Tara. I'm a huge Brockway fan so I really enjoyed this.

DH

Tara Marie said...

Anne--I don't think experienced heroines are really problematic, as long as it fits the story line. And, some authors can work in an experienced heroine really well.

DH (Anon)--your welcome, they're all some of my favorite authors, and I think I'm going to enjoy their blog.