Monday, May 16

Comfort Zones and Expectations

Most readers have comfort zones, or favorite zones. Genres that catch their attention first. In the past mine have been, medievals, regencies (full size) and romantic suspense. New medievals are hard to find, and the market is glutted with mediocre regencies and romantic suspense.

Breaking out of our comfort zones is sometimes difficult. I've spent the last few months trying to do just this with little success. After being completely disappointed with contemporary romance, I've moved on to other genres some falling under the romance umbrella, and some not.

Eureka, in the last 2 weeks I've broken free of these comfort zones and changing expectations has much to do with it. In the last 2 weeks I've read:
  • 3 category romances (Silhouette Intimate Moments)
  • 1 fantasy
  • 4 erotica/romantica
  • 1 vampire

Out of these 9 books I enjoyed 7 (last Friday I posted about the two I hated). A string of really good books? I'm not really sure. I started reading these books with little expectations. These are books outside my comfort zone, and I had no idea what to expect. The only books in this group I've read on a consistant basis are the category romances--but it's been years since I've read 3 or more in a month let alone a 2 week period.

All I was looking for was a well written book with a believable HEA. Seven books hit that mark. Are they keepers? No, but I'm realizing I shouldn't be looking for a keeper everytime I open a book.

I'm no longer looking for the "greatest romance" ever written, all I need is to be entertained and some escapism. If someone I trust recommends a book I'll try it, if the back blurb looks good, I'm going to read it. And, if I find some keepers in the process, all the better.

Have a great day and happy reading.

PS We're leaving for vacation Tuesday night or Wednesday morning, so this may be the last post for the next week or so.

No comments: