Saturday, April 22

The Ebook Thing

I'm trying to post this for the second time, hopefully blogger wont go bonky on me.

I've read some of the conversations going on about ebooks right now. I'm adding my 2 cents, even though I haven't read everything and may be commenting about something already discussed.
  1. I like to read curled up on the couch, in bed, outside in an Adirnondack chair, in the car while Juniors in school. I don't own a hand held device. I can't curl up and enjoy a good book on my computer. I don't read ebooks because they're not convenient for me. I think more and more people are reading ebooks, but how many are like me--somewhat computer clueless and not buying them?
  2. I consider myself an average romance reader. I read everything from Harlequins to Black Lace, and am comfortable talking about anything I read. I'm not so sure every romance reader is comfortable discussing the subject matter of most ebooks. They may read them, but they may not admit that they read them.
  3. When it comes to actual "review sites" how many are getting advanced reading copies of ebooks? AngieW is planning on giving away ebooks to readers that promise to write reviews.

Over the last few months I've read ebook reviews that have caught my attention, but when I visit the websites, I find the whole process rather clunky--hard to find the books, and my interest isn't so piqued that I "have to" have the book, and end up pulling something off my TBR pile instead.

That's it.

Tara

4 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

I'm with you on the ebooks. It's not that I don't want to read them - some I'm very curious to try - but I'm too much of a book in the hand kind of girl. I carry the current book du jour around with me from room to room - and you just can't do that with a computer. And since I can't even figure out how to work my cell phone - I'm a bit intimidated by an e-reader, even though I did plan to get one.

Anonymous said...

I think the key to liking ebooks is getting a reader. I even have a tablet pc but didn't really LOVE ebooks until I purchased a handheld device. Then it changed my world. Until there is an IPOD like device for ebooks, I think ebooks will be more of a counter culture v. mainstream culture.

Tara Marie said...

Kristie--don't feel bad, I refuse to have a "real" cell phone and only use a Tracphone wile Juniors in school.

Jane--I'm asking for a hand held device for Christmas this year. My MIL always buys each of us one big gift, and I'm putting in my request. Does that mean I get to join the "counter culture"??--LOL.

Lori said...

I love my ebookwise. It's the size of a paperback, so reading an ebook almost seems like you are holding a "book". I've read so many ebooks that I have adored. I even bought a Stephanie Laurens in ebook format. And it is great when you want to read at night and don't want to wake up the hubby. I just turn down the screen brightness and off I go. It's also great for those trips when space is limited - you can cram 20 books into somnething the size of 1 paperback! Fantastic!

I must admit, though, there is nothing like holding a book in your hands, getting the ink all over your fingers, and turning honest to goodness pages. That will always be my first love, and I can't imagine ebooks ever replacing that. Everything in its own time and place.