Monday, April 10

I'm a freak...

After posting about my Mom, aka Mrs. Fullcharge, I start blog hopping. I'm realizing I'm somewhat of a freak...

  1. I loved Linda Howard's Sarah's Child when it was new. What can I say, I was 21 and believed in fairy tales. Now, I have not reread this in years, as I KNOW it wont hold up over time. I am no longer gullible enough to believe an asshole can change that much. But, I do like to see them brought to their knees whenever possible. Hey remember RT gave it a 5 back when they were still giving them out. I can't see that happening now.
  2. I could never return a book that I've read or partially read, though I will return a gift if I already have it. I understand that Waldenbooks has a nice return policy, but I feel guilty returning a book to a bookseller, it's not their fault the book sucks, to bad we can't return it to the publisher. Maybe publishers should have money back guarantees, as if that's possible. Every time I'm in B&N I find at least one book on their shelves with a reader hinge in the binding, which means someone read it and returned it or somebody cracked the binding in the store--a. I can't believe the store would take back a book in that condition and b. I can't believe someone would actually crack the binding on a book in a store and then not buy it.
  3. Cheaters... I don't necessarily hate them. I know it's strange, but I'm willing to go with a story line and see where it takes me. If a hero or heroine cheats after "falling in love" and making a commitment, I've got a problem with that. But there are instances that I may not like it, but if it works in the story, I'm okay with it--Laura Lee Guhrke's The Marriage Bed and His Wicked Ways by Eloisa James come to mind. In both these cases it's part of a back story and not part of the current story, maybe that's why it works for me. Though I can remember some old bodice rippers from the 80's that at the time I thought nothing of cheating hero as long as it comes before he fell for the heroine.

You may have noticed I didn't link to where these discussion are going on, I figure if your curious you'll go looking, right Sybil?

Have a good one and happy reading.

Tara

11 comments:

sybil said...

LOL I just linked to three and thought you didn't mind it. But I am guessing your EJ luv threw me.

2 check I even asked when I saw it on the blog

1 no clue but haven't read the book either ;)

Tara Marie said...

Sybil--LOL.

3. I'm a EJ fangirl, not rabid enough to "love" everything.

2. Saw your post, if you hadn't of asked the question, I would have.

1. Now, aren't you curious, and want to read this one to see about all the hubbub??

Tara

Anonymous said...

I think it is Penguin that does have a money back guarantee. I saw that in the back of one of the books that I read recently.

As for cheating - I don't mind it so much in the backstory but you have to do a good job in making up for it during the story and I was never sold on the Marriage Bed.

Tara Marie said...

Jane, I didn't have a problem with it in TMB, my only issue with TMB--I didn't like how heavy handed the foreshadowing was about 'women falling in love with him' and then the ex-mistress shows up with the baby and the whole scene that followed, and the hero's epiphany only comes after that.

Anonymous said...

I dunno, I've returned 3 books because they were just. that. bad. I liken it to buying a sweater then realizing when you get home you really dont like it. Should you really have to keep a sweater that you know you're never going to wear, and if you stare at it long enough, might actually begin to hate, just because you made the mistake of impulsively buying it? The 3 books I returned, I never made it past page 50, and in one of them I stopped at the end of the 2nd chapter. I'm a gentle reader so the books didn't show any wear and I'm sure the bookstore put them right back on the shelves. Though, if they did accept a return of a book that has the spine cracked, couldn't they just include that in the publisher returns? That's what I would do if I was running a bookstore...

Tara Marie said...

Hey Jay, I don't have a real problem with someone else returning a book that they 1. couldn't read or 2. didn't damage in the process of reading but not finishing. It's a guilt thing for me.

I do have a huge problem with someone reading an entire book and then returning it damaged.

As to handling returns, I'm curious how different bookstores handle it. I have a friend who owns an indie book shop and she doesn't buy directly from the publishers, she uses Ingram, and I'm not sure they take books back, I'll have to check this out.

sybil said...

LOL sure I will add Sarah's Child to Duncan's Bride, Shades of uh something, that family series and Cry No More....

I can't think of a reason to ever return a book that a person has read. Then again I wouldn't buy a dress, wear it and return it. I can see buying a book, not getting past 50 pages and returning it.

sybil said...

HEY! Tara isn't this sort of like an author reviewing a book but not naming the title or author of said book they are talking about?

hmmm

just a blogger talking about a blog without naming names making other poor bloggers go hunt so they can point and laugh as well.... (or message boards)

*eg*

Tara Marie said...

Sybil, I'm hanging my head in shame, you're probably right.

sybil said...

there there tara is it ok...

as long as I can always email you for the answers if I can't figure them out I forgive you *g*

WHAT? I need to be able to point and laugh! And well I will even link to the blog ;). I. Do. It. All. For. YOU!

CindyS said...

You're not a freak - I enjoyed Sarah's Child the first time also but I did have a reaction to the hero that maybe he wasn't going to be the greatest father/husband in the world but I would have to re-read to get a better understanding.

I haven't ever returned a book that I have tried to read. I have returned a book when I discovered I already owned it (like just tonight with MJD) AND I have discovered that in order to find the right book for decorating or about a specific topic, sometimes the only way to find out is to order it online (because it's not in any bookstore in the country) and see if it is what you need. I ordered a book on fabric once because I wanted to know the basics but the book that showed up was about design patterns or something and was not what I was looking for so I had no problem returning it. Sometimes the blurbs make you think you know what it is about and it turns out it isn't the info you need. I did find the perfect book but I wasn't going to get stuck with the $30 one.

Also, don't know if you know this but the staff her in Canada (Chapters) can take a book off the shelf and *borrow* it and then put it back like a frickin' library! I was so shocked when I discovered this a couple of years ago. I had asked an associate for help and she goes to the section and says, well, I just finished reading it so it was here. I asked her what she meant and she told me about how employees can borrow the books and read them. The shock still hasn't worn off - may explain some of those broken spines you see. Oh and we have chairs where people will sit all day and read a book. Ugh. I so won't read in bookstore, it feels weird.

3. Cheaters - same as you although once upon a tender age I was dead against it. Now? Motivation and such would play a big role. IRL - fo-gediboudit!

CindyS