Thursday, April 20

UBS finds

My reading rut once again sent me searching for books at the UBS.

The first book I choose was Victoria Bylin's Of Men and Angels. I've read several of her books now and thought this would be a good choice. It's from 2003 and I think it's her first book with Harlequin Historicals. I read the entire thing last night. It was a nice read, that actually falls between good and very good. It's taken me a while to figure out why her books work for me. I've never read "Inspirational" romances, but these fall as close as I've gotten to what I think is inspirational. There is a level of faith in her books that is tangible without being overwhelming. Often main characters are preachers or children of preachers.


Anne O'Brien's Puritan Bride was the next book I picked up. I hate to admit it, especially since I've sworn off talking about covers...I really like the cover of this book. It's also set in "Restoration" England which is the real reason I picked it up. We don't get to many books in this setting and I thought it would be worth a try.

The last book I picked up was Zoe Archer's Lady X's Cowboy. For some reason a good review of this book sticks in my mind. I think it was something Wendy blogged about a while ago. The blurb sounded interesting, so I picked it up.

I'm so glad I put myself on a book budget. I think I've spent more on books this month than they whole rest of the year--LOL.

Have a good one and happy reading.

Tara

6 comments:

Wendy said...

I liked Lady X's Cowboy - but be warned, the hero's dialouge is cliched cowboy speak ::shudder::

The heroine is super duper fantastic though. Really fabulous. Really, truly.

Kristie (J) said...

I got Lady X's Cowboy when I read Wendy's review of it too, but it disappeared somewhere in my pile. But - I'm about to start Hope's Captive which I also bought on her rec.

Anonymous said...

I agree with your assessment of Victoria Bylin's books. There's a decided amount of faith without being preachy. I like that in a book. I'll have to look for "Of Men and Angels", as I haven't read that one yet.

BTW - I like the new look.

Jen

sybil said...

LOL I got Lady X's Cowboy when I read Wendy's review too, too. Go wendy ;)

I have this Victoria Bylin tbr...

Tara Marie said...

Wendy--I'm 150 pages into Lady X... and it's very good, but his dialogue is at times painful.

Kristie--Hopes Captive? I think I missed that one, I'll have to look for it.

Jenster--Thanks for visiting. I've stopped messing with the new look, it's here to stay for a while. I've read several of her books and Victoria Bylin is becoming a favorite.

Sybil--I guess we all saw that review--LOL.

Anonymous said...

I remember Vicki as one of regular [and sane] RT posters. :D I love that cover of Of Men and Angels. Great title, too.