Sunday, March 5

Awaiting The Moon by Donna Lea Simpson

I'm going to save myself lots of time by linking to 2 good reviews:

1. Paperback Reader

2. AAR

This book has a lot going for it. It's set in 1795 Germany. It's a gothic, incredibly gothic in style. The author does a tremendous job bringing you into a dark and fearful place. The book is filled with odd and eccentric characters that add to the gothic feel.

As good as the book is it does have huge drawbacks.
  1. The heroine reminds me of the girls that always ends up dead in slasher films, too curious for her own good, but that's the driving force of this book. She's nosey and the odd and eccentric characters try to keep her perpetually in the dark.
  2. At times the dialogue is a little purple prosey: ...to be fair, he did not have to ask me a second time to meet him in the attic, where a deserted divan became our haven. My life was so miserable, and in his arms I found happiness, however brief it was. I was ready and willing, and ... and I capitulated utterly, giving my maidenhood as a sacrific at the alter of my love. page 191 for those who doubt.
  3. SPOILER: this book is a werewolf story. The hero turns into one very close to the end of the book, the situation is explained and yet I would have prefered to see it end in a more gothic style instead of a paranormal, just finding the evil doer and moving on to the HEA.

So there you have it, good, but not great.

Have a good one, and happy reading.

Tara

4 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

Since I just picked this one up yesterday on spec, it's good to hear that you found it a good read!

CindyS said...

The word gothic and obviously first POV AND that little snippet have struck this one from ever being on my list.

CindyS

Tara Marie said...

Hi Anne--I posted the meme to your comments.

Kristie--It is a pretty good book, I'll be curious to hear your thoughts.

Cindy--It's a little over the top at times, but not a bad book.

Tara

Bev (BB) said...

What CindyS said about first person. I do on occasion read 1st but I'm really really really REALLY picky about it.

Besides, I don't think I've read anything by Simpson and I know I've heard the name before. What else has she written?