Tuesday, March 14

UBS stop...

Busy morning. Took Junior to the park to ride his bike, then went food shopping. Food shopping on Tuesday is rather interesting. Our local supermarket offers a senior discount on Tuesday. So the store is absolutely crawling, literally and figuratively with old folks, which is fine, but there is no running in for a few things. They, the market, had turkey breast on sale for .99 a lb., we're having that for dinner tonight.

I've completely digressed, on the way home we stopped at the UBS. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but wanted something fresh for the TBR pile--like there's not enough there with the 200+/- in my nightstand.

I found:

  • One Dark Night by Jaid Black--I've never read her and thought I'd give this one a try.
  • Beyond Temptation by Mary Reed McCall--Amanda recommended this one this week.
  • Blow Me Down by Katie MacAlister, now those of you who know me, know I positively can't stand KM's writing style and voice, but Ag recommends this one and I thought I'd give her one more try. I don't know what I'm thinking, but if I say I've bought a Lori Foster, somebody slap me.

Have a good one and happy reading.

Tara

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol Will do. Good luck with the MacAlister!

Anonymous said...

You've inspired me for a stop at the UBS. Actually, I went through a box of books in storage yesterday and pulled out about 10 that I'm willing to trade - one of which is "Blow Me Down" - so I had been thinking about it already.

I'm planning on looking for "Winter Garden", thanks to you. :o) I have also decided that I really need to own Susan Carroll's "Bride Finder" series and will be looking for that.

BTW - I am dying to get to "The Silver Rose", but I have to read "Life Expectancy" by Dean Koontz so as to get the husband off my back. lol

Cheers!
Jen

Bev (BB) said...

You know, I think MacAlister is the author I was trying to remember the other day when I was drawing a blank on another one doing funny vampire romances. Only I have absolutely no idea if she's the one.

She's been really uneven for me, too. 'Course part of that is because I'm really leery of first person. And anything that remotely resembles chicklit.

All of which reminds me that I have several of hers sitting there not even read. Probably why I can't remember what she wrote. Duh.

Tara Marie said...

Jay--I don't know what I'm thinking--LOL.

Jen--I think you will love Winter Garden. If you're sending Blow Me Down to the UBS does that mean it wasn't that good?? Oh, no. I'd offer you my Bride series, but to be honest, I'm not sure I want to part with it yet.

Bev--I don't mind 1st person and I actually like some chick lit, but in the 2 KM I found her heroines to be painfully stupid and whiney. Just MHO. This may have been a huge mistake.--LOL

Anonymous said...

Tara - Blow Me Down was entertaining and there were periods of laugh out loud humor. I'm not a huge fan of her's, but every now and again I enjoy the quirkiness of her writing. Her heroines seem to be getting a little better as she goes, too. At the beginning they were too whiney and just a bit wierd, IMO. Though I think I've only read four of her books.

I've borrowed the Bride Finder books at the library (in fact - they purchased them at my requrest) but now I've decided I must own them. So thanks for the thought, anyway. I don't think you should part with them, either.

And I didn't make it to the UBS today. Maybe tomorrow???

Jen

sybil said...

Post about Beyond Temptation ;). I am wondering about that book. LOL have fun with BMD.

Bev (BB) said...

The only time I tend to "enjoy" first person is when there's a definite mystery involved, a la Gothics. Chick list just doesn't do that for me. (BG)

Oh, and the other Beverly (unicorn?) posted a cover for a vampire romance by MacAlister, so I'm pretty sure that's the author I was thinking of, even though I don't have one of the series yet. Maybe never. Anyone know if that group is first person?